Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Emotions, Part 2

So you can see that things aren’t always as they seem. A Chessed may be very gracious, but did you notice he’s not considerate? A Chessed would make for a great friend, but he’s not very friendly. Basically, what I’m trying to say is I wasn’t in an explaining-things-mode yesterday.

But back to the issue at hand: Chessed is on the right because it is expanding my world. I go over to you and shake your hand. You were just added to my contact list. My contact list is my world. The bigger it is, the bigger my world is. So I shook your hand. Now I pull out a ten dollar bill and hand it to you. Not only are you on my list, but your family is on my list. Your mortgage is my mortgage, and so on. Your world is my world. On to the next person. I shake your hand and smile. You have just been added to my ever-growing world. Chessed. The personal emotion of expansion.

Gevurah is precisely the opposite. It is on the left for it’s contraction. It puts up barriers between my world and yours. And the barriers form a territory as small as I can handle without going insane. I want only the things I need. And even then, they should be in order. I don’t want a big, messy, world. I’m organized, clean, and neat. I’m just trying to make my own little space feel perfect. After that’s done, maybe I’ll be available for your community projects. Gevurah is the personal emotion of contraction.

No comments: